Unexpectedly Djenty Gear Thread!

10 replies [Last post]
AgeOfDeception
AgeOfDeception's picture
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Joined: 10/05/2016
Posts:

Hey, guys!
Recently I rediscovered my Zoom G2.1u from like 2005 because it's much easier recording that way (as opposed to VSTs with latency) and it djents! I've got a great "Milton Cleans" (Fellsilent, Monu, Tesseract, Hacktivist etc) tone and some very usable rhythm tones using the Dual Rec model with the stock cab and the 5150 with IRs:
https://soundcloud.com/elliott-stanley-music/sets/zoom-g2-1u
This is using an Epiphone SG-400 and a Squier Telecaster (feels good to be broke lol)

Has anyone else got cool results with cheaper or less obvious gear?

Isotropy
Isotropy's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 12 hours ago. Offline
Joined: 23/06/2014
Posts:

New strings. No amp, no cables. It djents. Try it. ;P

AgeOfDeception
AgeOfDeception's picture
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Joined: 10/05/2016
Posts:
Isotropy wrote:

New strings. No amp, no cables. It djents. Try it. ;P

Haha I agree, especially when you've just put them on and they're stupid low.

Isotropy
Isotropy's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 12 hours ago. Offline
Joined: 23/06/2014
Posts:

\m/

Tokonuk
Tokonuk's picture
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Joined: 08/12/2013
Posts:

Using an Aguilar Agro bass overdrive as a boost in front of a high gain amp instead of an 808 type drive. Little more twangy than djenty, due to the weird midrange response meant more for bass, but definitely an interestingly tight and aggressive tone.

AgeOfDeception
AgeOfDeception's picture
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Joined: 10/05/2016
Posts:
Tokonuk wrote:

Using an Aguilar Agro bass overdrive as a boost in front of a high gain amp instead of an 808 type drive. Little more twangy than djenty, due to the weird midrange response meant more for bass, but definitely an interestingly tight and aggressive tone.

I've always wished there was an overdrive pedal where you could adjust the mid boost frequency, kinda like that boost on the G2.1u - you can choose between 5 bands to boost which can be very cool, but I've recently found that using a real OD in front of it really brings it to life, doesn't sound digital at all (not to mention the OD only cost me like £20!).

gunpointmetal
gunpointmetal's picture
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 13 hours ago. Offline
Joined: 20/10/2011
Posts:

This is why I keep gravitating toward the Line 6 Marshall 2204 Mod Amp Model in my Helix...there's a mid-boost that can be adjusted between ~300Hz and 1.2kHz with adjustable level. With a boost OD in front in the chain, it can pretty much sit anywhere you want in the mix just by adjusting where the mid hump sits.

AgeOfDeception
AgeOfDeception's picture
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Joined: 10/05/2016
Posts:
gunpointmetal wrote:

This is why I keep gravitating toward the Line 6 Marshall 2204 Mod Amp Model in my Helix...there's a mid-boost that can be adjusted between ~300Hz and 1.2kHz with adjustable level. With a boost OD in front in the chain, it can pretty much sit anywhere you want in the mix just by adjusting where the mid hump sits.

Have you heard about Horizon Devices? Misha Mansoor just put out an OD that does exactly that, although it's out of my price range.

gunpointmetal
gunpointmetal's picture
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 13 hours ago. Offline
Joined: 20/10/2011
Posts:

Yeah, it looks cool. I especially like that it has built-in gate!

My whole live rig is based around the fact that I have very little to set-up. Guitar, Helix, Powered Monitor....no patch cords, no giant pedalboard, no T00bz

AgeOfDeception
AgeOfDeception's picture
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Joined: 10/05/2016
Posts:
gunpointmetal wrote:

Yeah, it looks cool. I especially like that it has built-in gate!

My whole live rig is based around the fact that I have very little to set-up. Guitar, Helix, Powered Monitor....no patch cords, no giant pedalboard, no T00bz

What monitor would you recommend for modelers?

gunpointmetal
gunpointmetal's picture
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 13 hours ago. Offline
Joined: 20/10/2011
Posts:

If money was no object for me, I'd probably get a pair of powered Atomic CLRs. Unfortunately, I spent about 3 years worth of gear budget on a couple of 9 strings and the Helix, so I'm running through a pair of Mackie Thump 12s. I like them, but they're designed for pounding music playback, so I have to roll the bass off a little bit to get them close to "flat". I got to play through a Friedman ASM 12 and that thing was sick, but its almost as big as a 2x12 and just as heavy.